Saturday, June 15, 2013

MRS. LO'S TAKE ON "LOVING DAY"

From June 12, 2013, "Loving Day" - TIME FOR A MRS. LO STORY, FOR LOVING DAY - June 12 is "Loving Day," a tribute to Mildred and Richard Loving. This married couple was arrested in Viringia in 1958 for violating anti-miscegenation laws, which prohibited inter-racial marriage, specifically between non-whites and whites. Their case went up to the U.S. Supreme Court and on June 12, 1967, the Warren Court handed down its decision in "Loving v. Virginia," striking down anti-miscegenation laws as violative of the equal-protection clause, which is to say, unconstitutional. The couple then returned to Virginia, where they raised a family of three children and remained together until Richard died in a car accident in 1975. Mildred died in 2008. Each year, Loving Day is celebrated for the Lovings and other mixed race couples. Growing up in an inter-racial family in the 1970's was often no picnic for little Mrs. Lo and her brother. But it made me a stronger person, and planted in me an intolerance for intolerance. And so, from Mrs. Lo to everyone who teased or gave me a hard time, due to being "mixed race"  -- I truly thank you -- because I could never have stood up to authority all my life, could never have taken on the challenges I have, could never have been as good a lawyer as I am, and could never have done half the things I've done had it not been for you. I say this without a trace of bitterness, at my age I am at peace with all the storms I have battled through and am thankful for the soft place to land my husband and kids and I have created. And, watching Lolo and Lola (my parents) stick together over 49 years has taught me an indelible lesson in the meaning of true love. Race, gender, same-sex, opposite-sex, socioeconomic status, let it go people, just be at peace with people loving whom they will, and enjoy LOVING day  Mrs. Lo

No comments:

Post a Comment