Friday, January 1, 2016

Mrs. Lo's Top 10 Pieces of Advice for 2016

MRS. Lo's TOP 10 PIECES OF ADVICE FOR 2016 - Hard to believe that another year is in the books and we are at a brand new year: 2016!  As is tradition, here are Mrs. Lo’s Top 10 Pieces of Advice for the new year, from various sage persons I have known in my life:


10.  ON PHOTOGRAPHS AND MEMORIES - from my dear friend Vivian Lanzarone, professional photographer: “My sister died when I was young, and when we looked around the house, we had virtually no photographs of her.  I started taking lots of photos of the family and then became inspired to become a professional photographer.  You can never have too many photographs of your family.  Never.”

9.  ON BEING THERE FOR YOUR KIDS – from Coach Kennedy, Senior Rowing Coach in the Hudson Valley:  “Never ever miss one of your son’s football games.  No matter what.  My mother came to every single one of my high school football games.  Every time I looked up in the stands, I looked for her and every time, I found her there in the stands.  And it gave me courage and inspired me.  Work will always be there.  There’s nothing more important than being in the stands for your son’s games."

8.  ON BEING ABLE TO LET GO – from Coach Brad Clausen, former Head Coach of the Goldbacks YFL D3 Division: “Sometimes things happen in a game that shouldn’t happen.  Bad sportsmanship, sometimes really bad sportsmanship.  But you have to let it go.  What’s more important is, how are you the adult, behaving as role models for these kids? The kids are always watching to see how their coaches and parents will react.  That is what they will remember, not the bad call, so be the role model you want your kids to follow.  In the end, football is a game.  Accept it, thank God for your healthy players and a great season, and move on.”

7.  ON THE IMPORTANCE OF PARENTHOOD OVER CAREER – from Judge Thomas Dolan, retired Dutchess County Court Judge and Acting Supreme Court Justice, the year was 1999:  “You want to know my advice on whether to accept that Law Partnership or keep working part-time so you can be home with your baby?  That’s simple, Julie.  Put off making money for now.  You’ll have plenty of time to make up for it later.    You’ll be a lawyer for the rest of your life.  You'll have decades to make money.  But your kids will only be babies for a little while.”

6.  ON MARRIAGE – from my Mom:  “Never discuss the inner workings of your marriage with anyone, not your kids, your girlfriends, not even with me.  Marriage is sacred, what happens in a marriage is between you and your husband, and no one else.”

5.  ON PARTNERSHIP – from my Husband.  When asked at a cocktail party how we figured out the partnership split every year: “what’s to figure out when you share everything you have?”

4.  ON BULLIES – from Lolo (my Dad):  “you kids have been kind of sheltered but soon you’re going to go out into the real world.  There will be people who don’t like you, either because you’re mixed race, or because you're happy or any number of reasons.  Always there will be people who don't like you, because they don't like themselves.  No matter what someone says to you, you are never allowed to get in a fight over words.  Words can hurt, but you don’t use physical force to retaliate. Even if they make fun of your parents, you have to turn and walk away.  (And this part was for my brother, not me) However, if someone throws the first punch, you have permission to square up and finish it.”

3.   ON SELF CONFIDENCE:  from Michael, who was age 9 years at the time, when I was scared to compete in my first regatta: "You have to believe in yourself, Mommy, because I always believe in you.”

2.  ON MONEY - from Phil Shatz, my mentor, and a former senior partner, now of counsel, to the Poughkeepsie law firm of McCabe and Mack and one of the most successful people I know (advice given to me when I was in my twenties and Phil was in his late sixties):  “Kid, I’m going to give you a little piece of advice about money.  Right now, you have enough.  You just don’t realize it.  People don’t realize that if they have enough money to put a roof over their head, keep the lights on, and buy some food, they have enough and the rest is just gravy.  Once you grasp that, you’ll not only be happier, you’ll start making money hand over fist.  Guaranteed."

1.  ON LIFE – from Nellen, my beloved grandmother:  “Jules, remember to count your blessings every day, just the way we do every night before you go to sleep.   Love Your Life and be thankful for what God gives you, taking the good with the bad.  Because it’s the only Life you’re going to get – this is not a Dress Rehearsal.”

AND A BONUS THIS YEAR, from Mrs. Lo:  Travel with your kids frequently.  Whether it's camping or a tour of Europe, get out of town and see other cultures, see other natural habitats.  And learn another language!  Just start, anyone can do it.  Few things bring me greater joy than traveling with my family and speaking Spanish the entire trip.  It makes me feel connected to the world and to all of mankind and brings me great joy.

Happy New Year, Everyone!  Thank you to all my Readers, for reading, liking, sharing, commenting, entering the contests, and just checking the page once in a while.  It’s been a great 2015, looking forward to spending 2016 together with you too!  Remember to Count Your Blessings, Love You All! <3 Mrs. Lo 

No comments:

Post a Comment