Friday, June 17, 2016

No Regrets: A Fathers Day Poem

NO REGRETS, A Poem for my Dad
Oh so many people
Their words tinge with regret
when they talk about their father
I want to hug and tell them
I wish they could have met
a Dad sent down from Heaven
that's what you were to me 


Though God has called you back
I have not one regret
you always knew how 
to make me smile
You would tell me stories 
That made me laugh so hard I cried 
They say you were a hero
To me You were
My first love 
My hero Dad
The one I thought of first
When I was sad
Or needed help
With tires flat
When life just wore me down
My Dad will fix this
I would say
And that's what I will miss 
You always had the time for me 
Your heart was always open 
Not just for me, you loved mankind
Even those who least deserved it

I always knew 
How proud you were 
of Little Juliana
And though
It seemed so silly then
You joined me on my first date
With blue ribbons in your hands
My daughter won these
You would say
And my husband didn’t run
He knew that we would be
A great big happy family
And that indeed we were
Our circle of Love 
went so far
We flew so high 
We touched a star
I see your Star every night
Can you see me Dad?
I hear you in each word I write
I see you in the wild flowers 
The bees, the breeze, the leaves
I see your imprint everywhere
in me, my sons, 
the way my heart is shaped


So many people speak of
Regrets about their Dad
The fights
Or worse the I love you's never spoken
But not for us, Dad
You always said I love you
I always said it back
Sunday, that was our day
I’d make your favorite dish
We never missed a holiday
Your birthday, no need to wish 
I made December 26 
The party of the year
No combining that with 
Christmas Day for my father dear

The last words that we spoke
Before
Your voice was stolen by the Stroke
I said to you:
I love you Dad
You said I love you too

I gave you the best sendoff
That a child could
Goodbye My Sailor Dad
And in the strains of Taps
I first let you go
And began 
To fill the ocean
With my tears of rage and love
Why can't he live? Damn it I raged!
Then in my Dream
you said 
My child, you must forgive
My Legacy in you will live
Be happy, child, 
That’s what I want for you

And now
I regal your grave 
I kneel, my head I bow
I feel your arms around me
I see you clearly now
Cry not, you say 
For Daddy’s always with you
I gave you wings to fly
Go soar! 
Be with your loving husband
And your boys, I love them so
Take care of mom
Your brother too 
regrets are not for you


What more could I have asked for, Dad
Maybe just one more day
Another game of chess
Another chance to play
But we will have that one day 
when I see you up in Heaven
So set the board, Dad
Wait for me
And when it is my time
Take my hand and lead me to 
The Chessboard in the Sky 
Then endlessly we will play
and laugh and spread our wings
and o’er the Heavens we will fly 
My little hand in yours

By Juliana LoBiondo

In memory of my Beloved Dad, Mariano Muyot (December 26, 1935 - May 3, 2016)

Photo from Hawaii 1975, Diamondhead in the background

No comments:

Post a Comment