Friday, August 16, 2013

Do What you Love, and You Will Never Work a Day in Your Life

DO WHAT YOU LOVE AND YOU WILL NEVER WORK A DAY IN YOUR LIFE, is what my Grandmother always said. Finally, Mrs. Lo is taking her own grandmother's advice. My first job out of law school was as a Mediator in Small Claims 

Court in the Bronx, 24 years ago. I have always done mediation but now I have made it the primary focus of my practice. It has been a rip-roaring success and I couldn't be happier. Basically, I sit in the conference room with two parties seeking to resolve their matter peacefully, without spending a lot of money and going through the unhappiness of Family Court and Supreme Court. The problem with divorce mediation is that non-lawyers tend to have a so-so success rate because well, they're not lawyers. More than a few divorce lawyers turn away from it because, well, you make a lot less money than you do going to court. However, what does that say? That the proces is much more economical. It's not for everybody, but it's for a lot more people than you would think. I'm in a position in life where I can do what I love, not what makes the most money, and that's a great place to be. My husband and I are even going to Buffalo the weekend of September 7 for the NYS Divorce Mediators Council Conference and I'm actually looking forward to it. I will still handle the uncontested and the contested divorce and family law cases but handling a few is preferable to doing that full-time. So now I jump out of bed Monday mornings, and Fridays are still fabulous but I'm actually not counting down to them anymore, because my workweek is pretty fabulous too. Remember to count your blessings, everyone, I know how lucky I am to be able to do what I love and I hope and pray the same for all of my readers  Mrs. Lo

No comments:

Post a Comment